Spark Engine Product Innovator
The Spark Engine Product Innovator (SEPI) certification program offers product managers, product owners, and innovation professionals an opportunity to learn and demonstrate an advanced understanding of key practices and mindsets related to product innovation and development.
The Spark Engine Product Innovator certification affirms the individual’s proficiency at key, foundational product innovation methods and tools, including: customer discovery & insights mining, human-centered design and Design Thinking, Agile and Lean Startup, prioritization and planning methods, product development practices, hypotheses-driven MVPs, metrics and delivery practices, and innovation frameworks.
Those who earn a Spark Engine Product Innovator credential indicate a thorough understanding of strategic and tactical concepts in product management/product ownership with a focus on key principles of product innovation, human centered design, and agility. The training program and certification process are rigorous to ensure that those who pass the qualification fully understand product innovation and are able to apply the concepts immediately to be more effective in their jobs.
Regardless of one’s career stage, certification as a Spark Engine Product Innovator is a valuable professional asset that distinguishes you as having the knowledge and ability to drive focused and purposeful innovation projects inside a business enterprise.
In this highly participatory and hands-on class, students learn the theories and practices that drive product innovation and development, including:
- Principles and mindset of product innovation
- The role of a Product Manager towards customers, the product, the team, and the enterprise
- Design Thinking and human-centered design
- Customer discovery and validation techniques
- Ideation and solution brainstorming techniques
- Problem statement definition and refinement
- The role of creativity in innovation and sources of ideas
- Product Vision definition and alignment
- Rapid validation with prototypes and MVPs
- Customer segmentation and business model definition
- Product Backlog management techniques
- Prioritization techniques
- Product journey mapping and roadmapping
- Metrics, measuring outcomes, driving business results
- The 5 dimensions of great products and how to minimize the Delivery Gap
This class provides an intense and rich experience that is both highly rewarding and challenging. Our trainers use exercises, simulations, use cases, and collaboration to create a rich learning experience that goes beyond mere lectures. Whether you are an experienced Product Manager or are seeking new ways to grow your career, this class will push your limits and expand your comfort zone.
Students learn the principles behind the practices and work on real-life exercises to apply the concepts and develop deeper confidence. We believe that real learning comes in three ways: a great training program, shared experiences with other participants, and hands-on practice. This is why we deliver this class in-person only, so that you can take full advantage of a rich and deep learning experience.
After the class and for a period of six weeks you have the opportunity for continued hands-on practice of the principles and methods learned in the class. This is the opportunity to internalize the learning and apply the concepts to a real work project. Participants select a product to work on and develop it in a rapid 6-week cycle, at the end of which they can have a validated plan to build the product. The 6-week period is structured to focus on one key step each week. Participants work at that step and get coaching on how best to execute or help if they get stuck:
Week 1: Customer identification and interview preparation
Week 2: Customer discovery and sense-making
Week 3: Ideation and rapid prototyping
Week 4: Product vision, business model definition, MVP definition
Week 5: Product journey map and prioritization
Week 6: Roadmapping, metrics, outcome validation
- Participants are required to check-in with the instructor and to provide a deliverable for evaluation at least three times throughout the 6-week period.
- Coaching is provided in a one-on-one weekly conf-call or via email. For private classes when appropriately arranged, coaching can also be provided on-site.
Participants in the Spark Engine Product Innovator program also get follow-up coaching support on how to apply the learnings to their real-life projects and jobs. This is offered for free, via email, for 6 months after the class.
Upon completion of the in-person class and the 6-week program, participants earn the coveted Spark Engine Product Innovator (SEPI) certification. This certification attests not only the attendance of the class and the learning of foundational practices, but also the successful application to a real-life project of the product innovation practices and mindset.
There is no exam. The program is designed to be highly experiential as we believe that real learning comes from experience, not from passive studying of concepts.
WHAT’S IN IT FOR YOU
Become a kick*ss product manager
The Spark Engine program at-a-glance
Who should apply?
The Spark Engine Product Innovator (SEPI) certification program expands expertise and mindset for those in roles responsible for driving innovation within their organization and leading product development efforts, such as:
- Product Managers, Product Owners, and entrepreneurs looking to expand their expertise in product innovation and learn what process and tools of creative thinking are needed to generate and execute new breakthrough ideas for their organization.
- Product leaders who want to understand how to drive product innovation and manage innovation within the organization.
- Product Owners that are seeking to develop further expertise in applied product management practices to drive innovation within their organization.
- Business Analysts and Project Managers who have a responsibility for product development and desire to expand their skillset and experience
The Spark Engine Product Innovator class is designed to be enriching for any level of experience in product development. However, it is preferable if you have some of the following:
- Experience in a product development role
- Familiarity with key concepts of Agile, Scrum, and Agile product development
- Certified Scrum Product Owner (CSPO) or SAFe Product Owner/Product Manager (POPM) certifications, or similar experience
The Spark Engine Product Innovator (SEPI) class assumes Scrum (and Agile) expertise as a foundational skill-set. The focus is therefore not so much on Agile practices, but rather on key drivers of innovation such as human-centered design, team empowerment, and continuous discovery and delivery.